Residential Survey York

Residential Surveys

AWP Consulting for residential survey York, Harrogate and Yorkshire.  Contact us today to see how we can assist you.

When buying a property you need to think objectively; the money spent on a survey could save you thousands by providing ammunition for negotiating a price reduction – or by making you think twice about buying at all.

Prospective buyers are often guided by a common misconception that a surveyor works on behalf of both the buyer and a lender – but this is not the case at all.

A buyer is entirely free to choose their own surveyor; a survey is for them, not the lender.

Residential Surveys York, Harrogate and Yorkshire

For Residential Survey York, Harrogate and Yorkshire, first, we should distinguish between a mortgage valuation and a survey. A mortgage valuation is undertaken for the lender and is primarily concerned with checking the property represents sufficient security in the event of the borrower defaulting on mortgage repayments. It will give basic information on the condition of a property but probably nothing beyond that.

So if you are buying a house you should look at a survey to protect your interests. The Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors sets out 3 levels of survey:

  • Level 1: RICS Condition Report – this is the cheapest option but probably the poorest value as a Condition Report is very basic
  • Level 2: Homebuyers Report – these are written into a standard form, often with standardized pre-produced text. Elements of the property are given Condition Ratings of 1 to 3 rather than a detailed description. The Homebuyers Report is designed to be completed as quickly as possible on site
  • Level 3: RICS Building Survey – this is a fully bespoke product and the only type of survey we offer. Why? We feel that although it costs more than a Homebuyers Report the price difference is not that great and as it provides much more information it represents far better value

We are a fully independent firm who specialise in Residential Surveying York, Harrogate and Yorkshire. We are not part of a chain, have no association with any Estate Agent or lender, so we can offer comprehensive impartial information.

We start with a conversation with the client (email or telephone) to determine the scope of the survey and any specific points of interest, such as the ability to extend or alter the property. On site the survey takes as long as is required. The report includes annotated photographs and is presented both in hard copy and electronic format. We include post-survey discussion of our findings as required.

Defect Analysis and Solutions

In addition to standard surveys we can also advise you on any area of concern you have with your property.

Anything at all – such as cracks, bulges, even bad smells (possibly)

If you have a problem we suggest you contact us to describe it, saying when it first arose and whether or not it is getting worse. Photographs are always helpful.

We can then look at it on site to determine:

  • What the underlying problem is and whether it is ongoing or abated
  • Any testing required, whether on site or laboratory
  • The best remedial options: repair, replace or ignore
  • Who can undertake any required work to the right standard, cost and timescale.

Project Management

Do you have a building project that you would like to undertake but need help on any aspect?

We can help with:

  • Coordination of design and specification
  • Selecting a contractor
  • Supervising the works
  • Handling all contract correspondence
  • Managing statutory approvals and requirements: Health and safety, planning permission and building regulations approval
  • Resolving contract issues if you discover belatedly you should have engaged professional help at the outset

From April 2015 householders undertaking work to their property beyond DIY have to comply with the Construction (Design & Management) Regulations 2015 usually referred to as CDM.

Issues with Neighbours

Property dispute avoidance is better than dispute resolution, and certainly cheaper. Here is a selection of services we offer to assist you.

Party Walls

The Party Wall etc Act 1996 extended to England and Wales (but not Scotland) legislation that had applied to London for over 300 years.

The act provides a framework for preventing and resolving disputes in relation to party walls, boundary walls and excavations near neighbouring buildings. The main types of party walls are:

  • A wall that stands on the lands of two (or more) owners and forms part of the building – this wall can be part of one building only or separate buildings belonging to different owners
  • A wall that stands on the land of two owners but does not form part of the building, such as a garden wall but not including timber fences
  • A wall that is on one owners land but is used by two or more owners to separate their buildings

A building owner proposing to start work covered by the act must give adjoining owners notice of their intentions in the way set down in the act. Adjoining owners can agree or disagree with what is proposed. Where they disagree, the act provides a mechanism for resolving disputes.

In most cases, and particularly those involving commercial property, the building owner will appoint a surveyor to handle party wall matters, as will the adjoining owner(s). The first action of the surveyors appointed by the respective parties will be to agree on a third surveyor who is empowered to decide matters should the building owners and adjoining owners surveyors not be able to agree. Although this is seemingly a needless complication, in practice Third Surveyors are rarely required and it does prevent escalation of any disagreement.

Unlike most other forms of consultancy instruction, the appointment of a survey out under the Party Wall etc Act 1996 is personal rather than corporate. John Allen of AWP consulting has considerable experience of party will legislation having acted in all three roles: building owner’s surveyor, adjoining owner’s surveyor and third surveyor.

Access for Maintenance

If you need to go onto a neighbour’s property to carry out maintenance or repairs to your own property, it is always best to adopt a calm and friendly approach. If you do encounter difficulties there is a useful statute: the Access to Neighbouring Land Act 1992 that sets out your rights.

Speak to a chartered building surveyor today
Residential Survey York
Make an enquiry
Request a callback

Our services

Residential Surveying Yorkshire
Commercial Surveying Yorkshire

Building Surveys York, Harrogate and Yorkshire

Acquisition Surveys York
Disposal Surveys York
Defects Surveys York
Condition Assessment Surveys York
Maintenance Surveys York
Dilapidations Surveys York

Buildings and Property Services York, Harrogate and Yorkshire

Building Maintenance York
Building Pathology York
Party Walls York
Dispute Resolution York
Issues with Neighbours York
Performance Management York/
Reinstatement Cost Assessments York
Building Surveys York

Development and Construction Services York, Harrogate and Yorkshire

Development Monitoring York
Procurement Management York
Project Management York
CDM Services York

Landlord and Tenant Services York, Harrogate and Yorkshire

Dilapidations York
Schedules of Conditions York

Request a callback

Want to find out how we can support you? Complete our quick form and we’ll call or email you back.